Wednesday, May 31, 2017

A Step Toward Falling by Cammie McGovern

I was not sure if I really wanted to read A Step toward Falling because of the serious material, but I am very glad I had picked it up.

High School Junior Emily witnesses another girl from her school, Belinda, being attacked at a school football game. When Emily figured out what was happening she froze in disbelief. When she noticed football player Lucas who also saw the event, she assumed that he was going to be the one to find help. Unfortunately, Belinda was left to save herself. 
As bystanders who walked away, Emily and Lucas serve a punishment in community service after school at a center for people with disabilities. After Belinda returns to school, Emily and Lucas try to find a way to help her.

Despite the deep emotional hardships and dramatic material, there was a lot of sweet and funny moments mixed in that I found super heartwarming and uplifting.

SIDENOTE: There are a lot of humorous Pride and Prejudice references, so BONUS if you like that book and/or movie.

This book flips between Emily and Belinda’s point of view, which I thought was a very nice touch that keeps the read from getting boring and made it a real page turner.


I found this to be a very rewarding read that I would recommend to older teens. We have it in print in the library and if you look in our catalog, there is also an option to request the audiobook version from another library. I used both print and listening versions. I listened to the audiobook and loved the voices! Each character sounds very intriguing and unique between the two readers. I really loved reading this book and I hope you do too. - MC

No comments:

Post a Comment