Monday, February 22, 2016

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: Squirrel Power

Ok, so...squirrels have come up A LOT for me lately: From tales of the ones who have taken over my parents' yard (because my dad feeds them) to a video clip about a water-skiing squirrel popping up randomly in a recent movie that had absolutely nothing to do with squirrels (It DID sort of have to do with YouTube, though, but still. Squirrels? I mean, how random is that?!?). And quite a few other times too. I'll just say that squirrels have been following me lately.

So when I saw The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: Squirrel Power on our New Graphic Novel shelf, it was like fate was telling me that I should read it. And I'm glad I did. The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is supercute!

This quirky-fun comic book centers around, who else, Squirrel Girl. a.k.a. Doreen Green. Our heroine has secretly been living in the attic of the Avengers' mansion for some time, but now it is time for her to go to college. Like with anyone moving out for the first time, there are a lot of adjustments: Dealing with roommates, schedule snafus, orientation night, and new crushes. Only Doreen/Squirrel Girl has to fight bad guys too. And there's a major bad guy heading toward Earth: Galactus, the Devourer of Worlds. And the only one who can stop him and save the planet is Squirrel Girl. And her adorable squirrel sidekick, Tippy-Toe. Squirrel Girl has already outsmarted Kraven the Hunter and defeated Whiplash. And then there are the usual mortal bank robbers and muggers. But can she stop a villain as major as Galactus? I guess you'll just have to read the book to find out.

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: Squirrel Power is a lot of fun to read. Doreen/Squirrel Girl is not your typical super hero. Sure, she CAN beat up the bad guys. And sometimes she DOES beat up the bad guys. But she more relies on her smarts to find alternative ways of saving the day. I like that :) I'm really happy I decided to pick this one up. --AJB

No comments:

Post a Comment