Friday, February 5, 2016

The Lumberjanes (vol. 1): Beware the Kitten Holy

Ok. So. Confession time: I never used to be into comics or graphic novels or Manga or any of that--despite the fact that I actually write and illustrate a comic (Winston's World) for OPL's quarterly newsletter. I'm too enamoured with the written word and, I suppose, I just like to use my (sometimes too active) imagination to form my own images of characters and places and whatnot rather than relying solely on pictures created by the author/illustrator. Same reason I usually take issue with movies made from books (I have trouble silencing that little voice that says, "No! That's NOT how Professor Snape is supposed to look!" or whatever...and then I'm distracted and/or bugged throughout the rest of the film.). It's just how it is. 

But lately I've been more into graphics, thanks to crossover/combo/whatever books like I Am Princess X (by Priest) and The Year of the Beasts (by Castelucci) which are part graphic, but also part-to-mostly straight-up text. And then there were the full-on graphics I hearted, like Smile (by Telgemeier), This One Summer (by Tamaki), and Nimona (by Stevenson). OMG Nimona (insert heart-eyed emoj here).

So when Lumberjanes: Beware the Kitten Holy, by the author of Nimona, crossed my desk, I gobbled it up like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would gobble a peanut butter and pickle pizza. Because Nimona was awesome. And because kick-butt female characters who solve mysteries and who aren't afraid to use their brains...or their martial arts skills. Because martial arts!!! And because the implied promise of kittens...and I DO like kittens...so cute and fluffy!

But I digress... Lumberjanes: Beware the Kitten Holy introduces the reader to Jo, April, Mo, Molly, and Ripley, five five bad-to-the-bone campers at Miss Qiunzella Thiswin Penniquiqul Crumpet's Camp for Hardcore Lady Types. Whilst attempting to earn their Up All Night Badge, the girls are ambushed by some magical talking foxes. And before you say anything, no, no NO, these foxes did not spew random gibberish, as suggested by that catchy, yet annoying song that went viral on YouTube a few years ago (OMG, I still can't believe the cast of Glee covered that one! Such bad form... Aaaghhh! Ear Worm!!). Before vanishing back into the dark and creepy forest, the magical talking three-eyed (Did I say three-eyed before? No? Well, they were) foxes tell the terrified campers to "Beware The Kitten Holy." Ooooooh...cryptic, right? I know! Before they can say S'Mores, the campers have a mystery on their hands and are soon escaping river monsters, arm wrestling with giant statues, and puzzling over riddles that, if solved correctly, will help them evade certain and painful death. But there's still danger afoot. Danger that, I assume, will be delt with in vol. #2, Lumberjanes: Friendship to the Max, which I seriously want NOW!

You can currently Lumberjanes: Beware the Kitten Holy on our New Book shelf. That is, IF it's there. And it might not be, because I will be recommending it to everyone. I promise you that. Scouts honor! --AJB

No comments:

Post a Comment