Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Thirteen Reasons Why, by Jay Asher





Thirteen Reasons Why is one of the most compelling books I have ever read this year. I have to say this book is very realistic and it is an eye opener as it describes a true portrayal of teen suicide. When I was a teenager, I have never dealt with the sensitive subject like suicide but I know in this day in age, it is something we don’t want to ignore or take things too lightly. I am sure everyone goes through some ups and downs and especially girls at this age go through various levels of emotions that often need to be under guidance by an adult.

In this novel, we listen to audio tapes recorded by Hannah describing thirteen reasons why she committed suicide. These tapes were sent to thirteen people that caused her to feel like there was nowhere to turn but to lose her life. Each person that impacted the cause of her death had to listen to the tapes and pass it along to the next person. Clay, the main character in the story listens to Hannah's tapes and the narration goes back and forth between the tapes and what Clay is doing/thinking. Clay who had a crush on Hannah wondered if he had to do anything with her suicide.

The story has a lot of deep, intense emotions and the suspense gradually builds up which can make you stay up at night a few times. The story also reminded me of how important our actions are –like what we do and say. Our actions can have a huge effect on others even if it is something so small that we are not aware of. I wonder if I came across someone like Hannah who has so much emotional damage, what would I have done to save her life?

*JK*

No comments:

Post a Comment